Tuesday, October 6, 2009

'Toy Story' times two equals 3D


Many reviewers through the years have talked about “Toy Story” like it was their own. “Toy Story” was a film for anyone who wanted to revert to a child like state, but our generation was currently in that state. “Toy Story” is our movie, the children of the nineties. There was not a little kid out there not quoting the movie or singing along with Randy Newman when “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” came on the radio.

“Toy Story” was our “Jaws,” our “Star Wars.”

Well, guess what all you little kiddies out there we can relive those childhood movie moments. “Toy Story” and “Toy Story 2” premiered last weekend at the Rivoli Theatre as a double feature in 3D.

“Toy Story” explores the ‘secret life of toys.’ A young boy named Andy owns the toys. Andy loves his toys especially Woody, a hand me down cowboy doll, until a hip new space action figure named Buzz Lightyear arrives. Woody tries to get rid of Buzz but fails and Woody is disowned by Andy’s other toys. Buzz and Woody eventually must work together to get out of a few difficult situations including escaping a toy destroying child’s home.

Luckily I was able to see the films on Friday and it had been awhile since I had such an enjoyable movie watching experience. Lately I do not sit down for a ‘PG’ or ‘PG-13’ film and would rather watch a bloody, action ‘R.’ However; “Toy Story” truly has stood the test of time. Many animated features nowadays are forgettable but “Toy Story” was so original and creative that there is no question in my mind why most critics perceive it as a classic.

The 3D visual of my favorite toys coming to life again really was something spectacular. The 3D glasses and imagery did not create a gimmick like that of an amusement park. You will not see Sid’s maniacal smile in your face, but you will see things you’ve never seen before. Pixar gives you the ability to see deeper into Andy’s Room, Sid’s House or even Pizza Planet. The “Toy Story” double feature was a total immersive experience.

I have read and perhaps you have too that the 3D in “Toy Story” was not nearly as impressive as that of its sequel. I disagree with that, the only issues with the first film are the fact that the original is just that, the original and “Toy Story” was a learning experience for Pixar. Don’t be fooled by the naysayers, each film looks beautiful up on the big screen again.

“Toy Story” looked great, “Toy Story 2” because it had gone through innovations in animation looks amazing. “Toy Story 2” is a continuation of “Toy Story” that follows Buzz and other toys as they set out to rescue Woody from a creepy collector named Al. During their escapades Woody questions if Andy will love him forever and the toys must face off with both Al and Buzz’s enemy Emperor Zurg.

The opening with Buzz Lightyear is one of the best openings of all time with its science fiction references and intense near miss action sequences and then the humorous finale. As a moviegoer you quickly realize it may have old familiar faces but this film is all it’s own.

I said I wouldn’t call out too many details but it’s impossible for me not to mention my favorite voice actor in “Toy Story 2,” Kelsey Grammer. Grammer as “The Prospector” is one of the most brilliant casting decisions ever made for a Pixar film, he pulls off the loveable old man perfectly and when the character takes a turn for the worst Grammer is at his best. “Toy Story 2” is viewed as one of the best sequels of all time and I cannot deny that because it uses all the elements that made “Toy Story” so great in the first place. With its use of humor, compelling characters and a story that switches from drama to comedy so easily you forget the characters are animated.

For anyone concerned that the story or original animation has been changed can rest easy because the full story of Buzz and Woody is intact and funnier than ever. It was interesting to watch this children’s movie again and catch onto to the adult humor. I never knew why Mr. Potato Head took his mouth off and tapped it to his bottom as a six year old; now as a nineteen year old the old business insult makes perfect sense.

It is also interesting to think that my siblings today are watching films like “Coraline” which I interpret as inappropriate for children but when thinking about the horrors in Sid’s Room it makes me retract my grievances.

In between the two films is an intermission featuring the characters of the films, trivia, clips and more. One of the most interesting and disturbing clips I saw was the test footage for “Toy Story” with Woody as a ventriloquist dummy and Buzz as a pint-sized version of himself named “Tempas from Morph.”

The most intriguing part of the double feature besides the films has to be the new trailer that is currently only being shown in theatres. The trailer is wonderful and gave me goose bumps seeing the toys back, looking better than ever and a grown up version of a familiar someone, who could it be? I guess you’ll have to find out. If that is not enough incentive to sit down and watch another stirring adventure of Andy’s toys then maybe the casting of Michael Keaton (“Cars”), Whoopi Goldberg (“Lion King”), Ned Beatty (“Rudy”) and Timothy Dalton (“License to Kill”) is.

I wish I could say more but I don’t want to spoil it for you but I have high hopes for the third “Toy Story” film and I believe Pixar will not let me down and the millions other willing to pay opening day, June 18, 2010. Until then my fellow moviegoers, to infinity and beyond!

No comments:

TRAILERS